In my top three favourite salads of all-time list is The Cavolo Nero from Gusto 101 in Toronto.
It’s unlike any other kale salad in that it’s tender, sweet, salty and creamy. Perfect under a grilled steak or chicken, or heck, even on its own. The restaurant also has a year-round rooftop patio and wine on tap.
The recipe below is my humble take on their genius and serves two – or one, if you’re me.
- 4 C of chopped kale (massaged and washed for 5-10 mins)
- 4 T dried cranberries
- 4 T pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 T honey
- 4 T olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 c grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- crispy serrano ham
- grilled steak or chicken
- lots of cracked black pepper
1. Combine dressing ingredients in a large non-metal bowl.
2. Add chopped kale to the bowl. Toss to coat.
3. Set aside for 30 minutes or more to tenderize the kale, stirring once or twice.
4. Add cranberries and pine nuts, and toss well.
4) Plate and garnish with extra cheese and cracked black pepper.
5) Top with whatever you like and enjoy!
Other honorable mentions from Gusto 101 include their Polette Pizze & Malfalde ai Funghi. View their menus here. The photo I adapted is from Food Junkie.